- Avoid bottle feeding since there is high risk of infection in spite of using sterilization techniques. Weaning food should be introduced around 6 months of age.
- In addition to breast-feeding, we can give liquids like cereal porridge (rice, suji, ragi, etc.), fruit juice, vegetable soup.
- Consistency should be gradually thickened to include soft semisolids like moong-dal khichdi, boiled and mashed potato, upma, etc. till 8 months.
- After 9 months, soft food that can be chewed may be given.
- By one year, the baby should be taking most of the food cooked at home.
- Commercially available weaning foods are expensive and convenient but not superior to freshly prepared home food.
Avoid forcing and coaxing food at meal times.